NORTHERN CALIFORNIA BRANCH OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR LABORATORY ANIMAL SCIENCE
NCB-AALAS is the Northern California Branch (NCB) of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS). AALAS is the premier membership association of professionals employed around the world in academia, government, and private industry that advances responsible laboratory animal care and use to benefit people and animals. Since 1960, NCB-AALAS has been dedicated to the humane care and treatment of laboratory animals and to the quality research that leads to scientific gains that benefit mankind and animals.
NCB-AALAS membership includes more than 500 clinical veterinarians, technicians, technologists, educators, and business people, researchers, administrators, animal producers, national and international experts.
The activities of NCB-AALAS include providing high quality, affordable educational opportunities, technical training, and resources for career development and professional certification to its members. The educational programs offered through NCB-AALAS emphasize the appropriate handling, care, and use of laboratory animals, preparation for AALAS certification exams, improving knowledge in technical areas, and helping to meet training mandates of regulatory agencies. Many San Francisco Bay Area research facilities require AALAS certification for hiring or advancement. NCB-AALAS provides, and heavily subsidizes, classes designed to prepare individuals for AALAS certification exams at no, or nominal, cost.
NCB-AALAS also provides its members with substantially discounted subscriptions (approximately one-tenth the cost of an individual subscription) to the AALAS Learning Library (A.L.L.), which includes access to its over 70 online courses for technicians, veterinarians, facility managers, ethics committee members, and researchers that work with animals in a research or education setting.
- Advocacy and outreach: Members participate as judges in science fairs and visit schools to educate the students on the benefits of laboratory animal research for humans as well as animals. Membership also provides the opportunity to play an active role in the laboratory animal research community and serve as a board member.
- AALAS Learning Library: The AALAS Learning Library (A.L.L.) provides online learning opportunities in professional development and laboratory animal science courses for ongoing education and training. An A.L.L account is available for purchase at a greatly reduced cost with NCB-AALAS membership.
- Job Search Resources: Provides year round opportunities nationally via the NCB-AALAS job opportunities page.
- Awards: Professional and technical awards for excellence in the field of laboratory animal science are offered annually at the NCB-AALAS Awards Banquet, giving members the opportunity to nominate deserving staff for awards and to provide them with recognition by their peers.
- Educational workshops are offered locally at minimal cost to provide training in necropsy, animal handling, surgery and other skills. The NCB-AALAS Newsletter is provided quarterly to members.
- Educational and fun outings to local sites such as the Marine Mammal Center, Coyote Point, whale watching.
- Networking: Opportunities to network locally with others in the laboratory animal research field.
- The Annual Educational Symposium which brings together vendors, researchers, experts, and members to network and learn about current developments in research, science, compliance, as well as new developments and products for animal care. It’s also an opportunity to have fun!
Education Committee Chair
Public Relations, Commercial Members
Symposium Committee Chair
Dr. Helen Chum
Past President (ex oficio)
NCB Sentinel Newsletter